One of the biggest life events we ever get to experience is getting married. Our wedding day is not only a symbolic representation of the love we share, but it also shows your unique take on what a wedding is and how you choose to celebrate.
Traditional or unique, one major thing is always on the tip of every bride’s tongue when planning for their big day: the wedding dress. It has to be unique, but within the budget and fashionable down to the very last thread, button,sequin. It is “the one.”
Choosing Your Dress
Choosing a dress comes with many many variables. Finding your dream dress can even be a little stressful. It may be your first time trying on something so pricey and even that can cause a little anxiety. Here are some tips for choosing the perfect gown for your wedding:
- Start your search early. Many gowns can take anywhere from four months to almost a year to be produced and shipped. Then, once it arrives, you still have to factor in more time to get alterations done (which depending on your tailor can take a few months as well) and never forget the search for perfect accessories too.
- Research heavily to find the perfect dress. Cut pages out of magazines, click through bridal boutiques online, check your local vintage store or bridal shops. Pinterest is always a great resource since a lot of brides before you did a TON of research you can easily access. These tips will help you gather a visual file of your favorite dresses.
- Compile all your research! After you have a shortlist of dresses you like, look for a theme—are they all beaded, are they embellished, lacy, or voluminous? Do they all have closed or open backs? Find a couple commonalities to help you narrow your search. You can bring to your ideas to help the sales associate too!
- Know your budget before your search. It may be a tad uncomfortable to talk facts and figures with family and in-laws, but make sure you know how much everyone is willing to contribute and how much you have saved in order to narrow your search when you start trying on dresses.
- Be open-minded. Try on dresses you wouldn’t normally be attracted to. Since many of us don’t wear a wedding dress on a typical day, we don’t really know what we look fantastic in until we try it on. Have fun and enjoy our fittings!
Tales from the Brides
Now that we have some good tips for finding a dress, let’s hear from some brides who have already gone through it all and have advice for brides-to-be:
Sabrina wanted a dress that blended her soon-to-be husband’s Indian culture with traditional American wedding fashion and found a dress in a shop after trying dress after dress on from online shops. It goes to show that you can find your perfect dress no matter where you search; online or in store.
Kiaya had loved Pronovias dresses for years and she had seen the dress she eventually picked for months online before she tried it on. When she showed it to her now-husband, he adored it and she finally went to try it on in person and her instincts were right, it was THE dress for her.
Carla had seen her dazzling Pnina Tornai dress in a magazine before actually going shopping, and she was drawn to it immediately. She loved the unique fabric and low back. But she initially disliked the dress when she tried it on because it had a detachable skirt that was only a half skirt. Before dismissing the dress, her godmother suggested that she spin the skirt and see if she liked the look of a ball gown and Carla absolutely did. She had a custom overskirt made and it gave her two looks instead of one for her big day.
Let Us Help You Find the Perfect Dress
Let’s Find Your Dream Dress.
At Sposa Mia Bridal, our hand-curated collection of Bridal Gowns will steal your heart, with a mixture of price point and styles we provide a unique selection of gowns and accessories that is elegant, timeless and romantic.
To schedule your visit, please give us a call at the boutique or take a moment to complete our appointment request form. We will get back to you as quickly as possible to confirm the details!